Today, my friends are on the verge of completing their UCAS applications to apply to UK universities after our A-Levels. There were a bunch of boring forms to fill out & copies of past exam results, but the thing that interested me the most was the PERSONAL STATEMENT that they each had to write - in no more than 4,000 characters.
According to them, it’s basically an essay about yourself that stems anything & everything about yourself: from reasons to why you aim of enrolling in the UK to basic hobbies and interests - “cause the heads there would like to know about you”.
My friends wrote about how Law was their number one passion (well, they ARE going to enroll in Law!). They wrote about how they liked English football. And the jobs they had before they entered college. Quotes from famous people (John Lennon) or from people closest & dearest (“my grandmother”). And even their interests, such as debating.
Got me thinking if I were to write a personal statement IF I were to apply to the UK. That would be so exciting just to write for the fun of it! Haha. I may have never gotten a job in my life & my results suck balls, but I’ve probs have/had a lot of hobbies/interests in my life that I’m pretty proud of, such as:
- BALLET - 8 years & 2 gold medals
- SINGING - 3rd prize in a singing competition
- STORY-TELLING - 3rd place in an inter-school competition & various other wins in school
- MODELLING - few catalogs
- ACTING - got a role in a X’mas play once which aired on TV2, & was also in a few commercials
- CHEERLEADING - did it for a year
- PSYCHOLOGY & THE HUMAN MIND - I’ve even unintentionally mindfuck myself a few times
- CREATING ABSTRACT ART - can’t draw faces or buildings, just abstract
- PLAYING DJ - <3 drum & bass, dubstep, techno, trance, [hybrid genres] electro/screamo
- FASHION DESIGN - unfortunately, sewing is not my forte so my designs have always remained drawings
- JEWELRY MAKING - most particularly weaving bracelets :)
- ICE SKATING
- INTERIOR RE-DESIGN - well, I redesign small things like my drawers, shelves & stationary.
- MUSIC REVIEW
- DEBATING - proud with my double ‘semi-finalist’ title twice in a row :)
- CRIMINOLOGY - and basically, anything to do with the minds & lives of serial killers & mass murderers
- ABLE TO RECITE THE ENTIRE LIFE STORY OF THE 15TH/16TH CENTURY SCOTTISH CANNIBAL, SAWNEY BEAN - c’mon, that’s got to be quite an achievement!
That’s about all I can think of right now. I’ve always wanted to do more, like learn to play an instrument or another sport or anything relating to graphics design. Maybe even be a master of something for a change, instead of a Jack of many trades.
Plus, I seem to always quote Nosferatu or my fave songs right now. I’m not in the habit of quoting famous people with a billion Nobel Prizes or such. :/
Ah, when the time comes. :D
*I admit, it’s just a few rhyming couplets. Nothing so spectacular. LOL
Tagged as: UCAS. universities. United Kingdom. personal. statement. future. life. LifeLessons. self. passion. hobbies.